Every good story begins with a photo… and at the 2022 Essence Hollywood House, a conference for creatives and storytellers that takes place during Oscars weekend, I learned some key takeaways from the entertainment industry’s leading experts. Because Glow Stream TV is all about the family-style glow up and collaboration, I’m sharing some of the key takeaways below with you, the Glow Getter tribe! — Markette Sheppard
Ready to glow up your career? No matter what your industry, below are some valuable gems of advice from Hollywood House that you can use to elevate yourself in your field.
- Put in the work. You can have a million followers on social media and a ton of contacts, but it’s usually the ones who are constantly trying to perfect your craft and strive towards excellence who usually make it.
- Create a #marketing plan for big ideas. How will you sell it to get internal buy-in, first? 📝
- Don’t expect the numbers guys & gals (CFOs, financiers) to see your #vision, so you have to SELL it to them as if they were your target audience! What can you do to get them to see your vision as you do, so that you can get the budget you need? 🎯
- Be OK with saying, “No” in order to protect the integrity of your #creative vision. Nuff said. ⛔️
- When in doubt, just pray. Keep God close and pray for guidance whenever you’re not sure what to do and ask: What would Jesus do❓
- Last, but certainly not least eat a large breakfast before you head into this all-day conference or any important event. Although the website said lunch would be provided, it was not. All good, though. Jesus always provides and I just happened to have a slice of banana bread in my purse to hold me down. My conference buddy, Mpact Jacq, had some carrot cake tucked away in her bag.