“Don’t call me Brandy, call me Your Highness,” belted out the iconic I Wanna Be Down singer in a hip-hop performance that brought the live audience to their feet.
Here’s why Brandy truly does deserve the title of hip-hop royalty… (scroll below for list)
- She’s been in the game for a minute. Brandy Norwood released her first single at age 11, according to IMDB.
- She’s Cinderella for the culture! Brandy gave little brown girls all over the world an idea of what it would be like to become a princess when she starred alongside Whitney Houston in Rogers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella in 1997 for the Disney remake.
- She rolls hard for her family, who also happens to be super talented. Everybody knows that she is Sonja and Willie’s daughter, sister to Ray J and mother to Sy’rai. But, did you know that Uncle Snoop is her cousin? Yes, that be Cousin Snoop Dogg to her!
- She’s a triple threat: actress (Moesha, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer), singer (Sittin Up In My Room, The Boy Is Mine) and dancer!
- She is inspirational! On the topic of not giving up, Brandy has said, “It’s easy to just give everything up, but it takes a lot of strength and a lot of willpower to just make yourself stay on it and get up and do something different. And I had to do that.”